Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We are a very friendly and sociable walking group covering the area of Gwynedd west of the city of Bangor.

CAD Ramblers websiteCAD Ramblers website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Yr Aran- Sun Aug 4th.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
John H

Yr Aran- Sun Aug 4th. Empty
PostSubject: Yr Aran- Sun Aug 4th.   Yr Aran- Sun Aug 4th. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 4:34 am

Despite some confusion regarding the start time and a lousy weather forecast, 14 of us set out from Bethania in the dry.
I had informed everyone that I was leading the walk on behalf of Dave and that I hadn't been able to recce the route but that it was all on the map and in the gps.
Fortunately I didn't need to make constant reference to these as John Carson is very familiar with the route and whenever I felt the need for the map, John had the way already sorted.
Initially it was a fine, warm ascent up the Watkin path and some, who had started out wearing waterproofs, took them off to avoid overheating..
Ahhhhh--false promises. As we finished coffee, the rain started, gently at first and then progressing to torrential.
The fabulous views, promised in the introduction to the walk, were, by the summit of Yr Aran, a grey mist.
It did clear somewhat below us and on the steep descent to Bwlch Cwm Llan we could see fairly clearly where we were going, but not where we had been.
From the Bwlch we headed across to "the gravestones" before following the Watkin Path back to Bethania. On passing the Gladstone Rock, there were no volunteers to sing Welsh hymns as the peasantry did for the benefit of "The Great Man" back in 18??.
Most of the group 'retired' to the excellent Cafe Gwynant for a well earned panad before dispersing.

John
Back to top Go down

Yr Aran- Sun Aug 4th.
Page 1 of 1