Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We are a very friendly and sociable walking group covering the area of Gwynedd west of the city of Bangor.

CAD Ramblers websiteCAD Ramblers website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sunday 24 April – Cwm Merch and Cwm Llan

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dave Woods

Sunday 24 April – Cwm Merch and Cwm Llan Empty
PostSubject: Sunday 24 April – Cwm Merch and Cwm Llan   Sunday 24 April – Cwm Merch and Cwm Llan Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2016 2:44 pm

In this cold and changeable April the days 15 walkers were lucky with the weather, with elevenses taken in warm sunshine by the clapper bridge below the ‘Khyber Pass’ gate on the Watkin Path. The bridge, just large stone slabs, with quite a drop down to the rock filled river, might have caused trepidation for some, but all crossed safely and soon we were on the long ascent to the Lliwedd Copper Mine, at the head of Cwm Merch. Eating an early lunch among the ruins of its buildings, and with the iron work from waterwheels and other equipment lying about, the levels and workings of the mine extended hundreds of feet above us. Even in the now very cold wind we appreciated the views - the quarrymen who climbed up there to work probably had a different response.

Then it was down again to the valley, to turn and follow the little used eastern side of the river, past brilliant pools and the tumbling river to the head of the gorge and into Cwm Llan. Further copper mine buildings, the new National Trust hydro scheme intakes and the shell damaged quarry manager’s house led us on to Gladstone Rock, where a rendering of the opening lines from Hen Wlad fy Nhadau by Hefina drew attention.

We had a look at the barracks and work buildings of the South Snowdon Slate Quarry before following the old track bed out of Cwm Llan. The drilled stones that used to hold the rails of the incline from yet another copper mine led us down to the Watkin Path, and not long after we were sitting in Caffi Gwynant, having a welcome panad after a dry and clear day up in the hills.

Dave
Back to top Go down

Sunday 24 April – Cwm Merch and Cwm Llan
Page 1 of 1