Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We are a very friendly and sociable walking group covering the area of Gwynedd west of the city of Bangor.

CAD Ramblers websiteCAD Ramblers website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Old routes through Ogwen - 10th September 2011

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dave Woods

Old routes through Ogwen  - 10th September 2011 Empty
PostSubject: Old routes through Ogwen - 10th September 2011   Old routes through Ogwen  - 10th September 2011 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 3:51 pm

Holidays, dodgy knees, poor weather forecast – just some of the reasons why only Irish Chris was with me from our group as we stood in the drizzle at the bus stop in Bethesda (or it could have been me and and my walk, of course!). We might have had a panad and gone home, but for the seven intrepid walkers who had also turned up, from Ynys Mon and as far away as Prestatyn.

Padarn Motors provided us with a double decker bus for the ‘exciting’ journey to Capel Curig. Some of the rides at Alton Towers would be hard pushed to beat a red double decker and a wet winding road. At least it took our minds of the rain that was now pouring down.

The road past Joe Browns and the very handy toilets leads to a fine old bridge, its size an indication that this was once the route to Bethesda, Bangor and beyond. The tarmac was soon left behind as we followed the wide track, which had been dry and easy to walk when Kath and I came here in the spring. Not today, and much leaping about took place as we tried to avoid the worse of the boggy stretches.

Reaching Llyn Ogwen we were able to remove hats and hoods for a while – but not for long. We crossed the A5, Telford’s early 19th century masterpiece, complete with it’s pavement for pedestrians, before taking the small path that follows the north shore of the lake. More recent history was revealed as we passed a Second World War pillbox, its concrete hidden by rustic stone walling. Later we would pass gun mountings and anti-tank walls, all a legacy of fears of invasion.

Lunch was taken in the very welcome dryness of the National Park centre, before we descended the lane that hugs the western side of Nant Ffrancon. Eventually becoming a shared walkers/cycle track, we felt sorry for the three cyclists who passed going the other way, uphill and into the strong winds that were blowing us to Bethesda. The sky was clearing as we walked the last of the twelve miles, on a woodland path which led to the village centre. Here there was welcoming tea and cakes in that great café on the high street, whose name I have forgotten, the one with the motor bike in the window. They serve very nice cream horns, highly recommended!

Despite all the rain the day seemed to go well, and as yet no cases of foot rot have been reported.

Dave
Back to top Go down

Old routes through Ogwen - 10th September 2011
Page 1 of 1