Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We are a very friendly and sociable walking group covering the area of Gwynedd west of the city of Bangor.

CAD Ramblers websiteCAD Ramblers website  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

North Wales Coast Path Circular Walk, Saturday 23 January

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dave Woods

North Wales Coast Path Circular Walk, Saturday 23 January Empty
PostSubject: North Wales Coast Path Circular Walk, Saturday 23 January   North Wales Coast Path Circular Walk, Saturday 23 January Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 4:50 am

Mudlarks Walk, 23 January.
Apologies to all who are still drying out their boots, gaiters and pants after Saturday's walk - and explaining the farmyard smell to any visitors. When I did the walk last Autumn the 'path' by Aber Ogwen farm was a little messy, but nothing like the quarter mile long morass we had to navigate on Saturday. No doubt this was as a result of the recent snow and rain, but it has taught me a lesson about checking routes near to the date of a walk, particularly lowland paths through farmland. It's easier in the mountains! Perhaps it's just as well the walker from another group who objected to my route along the shoreline from Abergwyngregyn left us just before Aber Ogwen, otherwise he might have been very upset!
Otherwise I have nothing but praise for the restraint of our party towards their leader for the day. (Nobody tried to trip me as we found our way through that brown liquid delight). I had started by setting of at too fast pace, being involved in talking about the Tour de France and other cycling matters with Guto and Nigel from Llanberis. They are fast walkers and very fast cyclists, so a memo to other leaders - don't let them near the front at the start of a walk! Then I led the group into the mud bath. Great.
However, things got better after we climbed up to the North Wales Coast Path, with good views out to Anglesey and the Great Orme. As we contoured along the hillside the incoming tide below us proved the wisdom of the route this way, plus it gave a fine view of the cascades at Rhaeadr Fawr as we turned the shoulder of Cae'r Mynydd into the cwm.
We had 26 people out for the day, including walkers from Prestatyn Ramblers and Vale of Clwyd, Conwy Valley, Bangor and Bethesda and Ynys Mon Groups - plus a dozen or so from out group.
Having not led many group walks I am still on a learning curve. With the smaller groups and even the big Danish group I have tried to be informative about things we might see during the walk, but somehow I lost this thread on Saturday. Must do better next time. Lifes a learning curve, even when as far around the bend as I am.
Dave Woods
Back to top Go down
edmundrachel

PostSubject: Thanks for the walk.   North Wales Coast Path Circular Walk, Saturday 23 January Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 9:35 am

Thanks Dave for your post. Things were not so bad as you describe. The complainant at the start of the walk is apparently well known! A large number of walkers automatically causes problems. We were fortunate there were not too many stiles and ladders! People who complain about mud should move to a Desert Area. We all have to remember that walkers have varying levels of fitness, even ages!! We also had a couple of brand new members on the walk, so it is important they are not discouraged on their first or second walk being left half a mile behind, in an area they are not familiar with: it is very demoralising. If you had accepted my offer of the two way radios between leader and back marker, any perceived problem would have been solved.
Everyone I spoke to thoroughly enjoyed the walk and I spoke to everyone, and I enjoyed it too.
Thanks

Edmund
Back to top Go down
Denis

PostSubject: Re: North Wales Coast Path Circular Walk, Saturday 23 January   North Wales Coast Path Circular Walk, Saturday 23 January Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 9:59 am

You're very hard on yourself Dave - Monica and myself enjoyed the day and I'm sure the leather in our boots has developed a new life after the mud bath they were treated to. I made sure I recce'd my Saturday walk earlier today!!
Denis
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: North Wales Coast Path Circular Walk, Saturday 23 January   North Wales Coast Path Circular Walk, Saturday 23 January Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

North Wales Coast Path Circular Walk, Saturday 23 January
Page 1 of 1